Sweet Pea

Dear Mom and Dad,

Today both grandmas got on the phone together and talked about us. They wondered where you are,  how you are, what you are doing, and when we would all hear from you again. They wished real hard that Marine Traffic was working because they can't track where you are and it is much more fun to track you. Then they reassured each other that this is what you said would happen right now, so all was okay. I could tell that they were making an "if you hear from them, let me know" pact with a lot of "I sure will" and "you too" promises.  

Then they talked about ME. I knew they would. I was waiting for it. I could tell because they got their grandma voices going real good. A grandma voice is at least a full pitch higher and full of love. They were oooooing and aaaaaing and giggling and telling stories about Callie's cat Pounce and about me. Pounce was afraid, like me, and she liked going outside at night more than during the daytime too! She would meow saying "mom" just like me. And she also said "more" and "milk!"  So both grandmas were meowing back and forth on the phone. Just between you and me, they didn't sound like us at all. But I didn't say anything. After all, Grandmas babysit, put food in my dish and clean my litter box. I know better.

Next Grandma went out to her garden to see how things are looking. She does that a few times a day. I think she's watching the tomatoes and green beans grow right now. She came in with one tomato and the last of the sugar snap peas. But she was most excited about a few little sweet pea flowers that sprung open and smelled good. She held them in a tight bunch in her hand and then put them in a tiny vase and admired them for a long, long time. She said they reminded her of great-grandma a little because she always grew them too. She said that there is a song from when she was in high school that was called Sweet Pea. She sang, "Oh, Sweet Pea, wontcha dance with me, wontcha, wontcha, wontcha dance with meeeeeeeee." I rolled my eyes best a cat can.



After that Grandma went out and picked a big yogurt container of blueberries. I watched from the window and tried to point out where all the blueberry spiders were so she wouldn't get tangled up with them. She picked berries while a bird pecked at the ripest ones at the other end. I think they were talking to each other. Grandma picked and picked and tossed a few to the bird. The bird might have eaten a few spiders to help Grandma out, but I couldn't be sure. She got an almost full container and quit. She says that it's best to leave some for the deer and the birds and not be greedy. She says that's how life is. Sharing is caring, as Kellan says too. Grandma said she could hear the first owl in the woods about the time she quit. Grandma and Aunt Debbie love owls.

I wasn't sure which she was most excited about. The blueberries or the sweet peas. But then she picked me up and held me and danced around and around the room humming the Sweet Pea song. If she could have understood my meows, she would have known that I was singing it with her. She is most excited about me!

Love,
Uma, with another nickname - Sweet Pea

Comments