Conversations

Grandma: No biting!!

That was Grandma yesterday morning. I gave her a tiny little chin love bite because it was time to get up and I didn't see any feet going over the edge of the bed and onto the floor. Sometimes I have to make things happen. Grandma and I have short conversations and sometimes long ones. That was a short one! We got up and headed to the kitchen.

I remember when I first got to Grandma's house, she told Mom how I didn't do that cat thing- get underfoot, and criss-cross in front of wherever Grandma was walking. Now I do. She thinks it's because the 4th of July is coming and the fireworks are starting and the noise might scare me and I need to be right by her. I told her that it's because she walks slowly in the morning and I don't want her to get lost. I'm herding her to the kitchen. She said I do it more than in the morning. Any time of the day. I told her to pick up the pace! She said she couldn't because I was in front of her. Then I criss-crossed. She accidentally stepped on my tail, I screeched, and then we both said "I'm sorry!" That was a long conversation with some hugs and kisses.

This was tonight...

Me: My bowl is empty.
Grandma: Ohhhh, yes it is. (said like she didn't know)
Me: I need something in it.
Grandma: It's 6:55, it's going to fill up in five minutes. Just watch.
Me: I don't like it when it's empty. I'm going to walk around your feet now.
Grandma: Why?
Me: So I can push you to my big food bin. Maybe you'll get me a treat.
Grandma: Uma, come over here and watch your feeder. It's going to empty into your bowl in 3, 2, 1...



So we sat and watched and Grandma was right. It emptied into my bowl.

Me: How about if we change the time to 6:00?
Grandma: Good idea.

Grandma got the booklet out to remind herself how to change the time on the feeder. I stood by her feet and helped and tried not to listen to the boom sounds outside.

Tonight when we were sitting in the green chair waiting for Tully to show up...
Grandma: Oh, Uma. You are so sweet (hugs). I could just eat you up. (kisses)
Me: Grandma, no biting!

My favorite conversations are still the ones when Grandma is telling me about Mom and Dad's trip. Or when I hear Mom and Grandma on the phone and I can tell Grandma is getting good trip information to tell me later. Then we sit at the top of the stairs, Grandma talks quietly to me about the trip and I pretend I don't notice she is trying to trim my nails.

Almost every day Kellan tells Grandma to tell me "hi." Then I tell her to tell him "hi" back. And then Rusty the dog tells Kellan to tell Grandma to tell me "hi" and I tell Grandma to tell Kellan to tell Rusty "hi." Sometimes Kellan is with Batman the cat so we say "hi" to each other through Kellan and Grandma too. Usually it's when Kellan is typing for Batman or Rusty for their blog, and Grandma is typing for me. They can see each other's names on their computers, Grandma said. I know Grandma loves it as much as I do. It's a different kind of conversation and it's fun. What I really like is when Kellan comes over and I'm hiding and he finds me, then pats my arms and paws and talks to me softly. That's conversation too!

Me: Hi, KellanWhen I go back to the boat, let's keep talking!

Love,
Uma

Comments