Being Siamese

I heard that Mom and Dad left Ketchikan and are headed further into Alaska. Mom told us that they would not have any phone or Internet now for over a week. Grandma and I are helping each other not worry until we hear from them. I think I'm doing more helping than Grandma because I'm keeping her extra busy. She told me that I'm keeping her so busy that she finally looked up Siamese cats on the Internet. I saw her nodding and heard her say "uh-huh" a lot.

And my other grandma told her that their Siamese cat that Dad grew up with opened their refrigerator door and ate the food inside. They got a BIG roll of tape. She said we have super powers and are very smart. I guess that explains why I was able to jump way up into the upper food cabinet in the kitchen the other night. Or how I tore apart all the tape Grandma put on the trays that were closing off the path to the spot behind her refrigerator. I had it all ready to slide away from the opening next time I could jump up there. But Grandma noticed, said another bad word, and then super reinforced again. She heard from Aunt Linda that we don't like tin foil, so now there's heavy duty tin foil in place along with a wooden cutting board, heavier tape, a five gallon jug of water, the Vitamix base, and a can of spray air. I'll figure it out. It's going to take a lot more tin foil than that, but don't tell Grandma.


So Grandma is studying about Siamese cats. She said she didn't know what it was like to be me and wants to know. We're both listening to the cat mojo book and are on Chapter 8, the part about "cat TV, which takes the most important activity of my day, hunting, and puts it in a box so I can experience it in a relaxed way." So Grandma put more things on the deck outside for me to watch. Bird feeders, bees, plants, a glowy solar ball that lights up at night, some moths, and of course, Tully's feeding dishes. It's real fun at the window but Grandma still needs to:
play with me
scratch my back
watch me eat
read me Mom and Dad's blog
talk with me ALL the time
hide my treats around the house
chase flies with me
look at imaginary things with me
brush me and try to brush my teeth
play on the stairs
crawl under furniture to find my lost toys

...and wake up for a few minutes at 4:30 AM so I can tell her that my automatic feeder worked and that I used my litter box and am going back to bed. We Siamese cats like to give a play by play, detailed, narrative about everything that's going on. As Mom described, "even about a piece of lint that floated down from the ceiling during the day."

I don't know what it's like to be Grandma either. I'm learning though.  I know that she gets to play in the dirt and I don't. I saw her through the window with a big bag of dirt and a huge pot and some tomato plants. That gave me ten minutes to go work on that tape and tin foil. She has a lot more to learn.

Comments