Watching For Raccoons

 

We were on surveillance

In the big green rocking chair
With me on Grandma’s lap
The perfect stake-out pair

It was getting darker

Long shadows all about
And just as Moon showed up
Sun turned inside out 

 

Lights lit up the patio

So we could see out there

I kept my ears alert
My eyes locked in a stare

We saw them just two nights ago  

But only for a sec

A flash of fur with bandit eyes

Ran fast across the deck

 

Grandma sat real quietly

And I was crouched down low

The two of us hid in the dark

Just in case they’d show

 

We watched and then we waited

As patient as can be

I wanted those raccoons 

To come and visit me

 

Grandma started dozing off 

And thought she’d get some sleep

But I said not to leave just yet

We’re in this way too deep!

 

Our eyes adjusted to the dark

Our ears to midnight sounds

Like dancing moths flying into lights

And distant barking hounds 

  

First we saw a little mouse 

Run past the big glass door

We heard an owl hoot in the yard

And then she hooted more  

 

Something flew across the deck 

“What the #4@% was that?!”  

Grandma said, “Don’t worry,

That something was a bat!”


Leaves fell from the maple tree

And fluttered in the breeze

Then scuttled cross the patio

Like ghostly nobodies. 

 

I don’t know what time it was

When we went up the stairs

Me asleep in Grandma’s arms

With no more raccoon cares

 

We’ll watch again tomorrow night

I’ll watch forever more

For all the creatures big and small

Outside my Grandma’s door. 


Love,

Uma

P.S. If you like my poem, you might also like A Fly Got In.

Or maybe Taking Care of Grandma. Or one of my haikus

that are tucked in here and there. 


Comments

  1. This is brilliant, Uma! What fun cat tv you have with Gramma!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment