A Fly Got In

A Fly Got In
(or why my litter box didn't get cleaned and Grandma's herbal garden in the kitchen spilled)

A fly got in the house today. It soared just past my face
That was all it took for me to get right in the race
Grandma at the litter box with scoop and bag in hand
Flew downstairs to ask whassup, in time to see me land 

She joined with me and off we went to try to catch that fly
The two of us ran after it and it just flew right by
I batted and I bit at it and swatted everywhere
Then took a super duper leap and tumbled through the air

Up the stairs then down again, we chased it high and low
And then we heard it buzz, buzz, buzz above the pi-an-o
I jumped up on the row of keys and hit the middle C
But that darn fly was off again, as fast as he could be

He headed toward the kitchen, then he landed on the sill
I bounded up to capture it but overturned the dill (and mint, basil, oregano and lemon balm)
Grandma got the flyswatter, that thing that’s on a stick
And started swinging left and right, but didn’t do the trick

It buzzed right overhead past us, in circles all around
The two of us in hot pursuit, our six feet on the ground
We thought that it had tired out - it landed on the wall
So Grandma used a backhand but she wasn’t fast at all

It whizzed right by and hid behind a place we couldn’t see
We took a breath and wondered where that great big fly could be
It was quiet for a moment. And everything stood still…
I looked at Grandma's face and knew she was going for the kill

I heard the swatter swat swat swat the fly flat on the floor
Then grandma quickly picked it up and tossed it out the door
Our eyes took in the great big mess that fly intrusion brings

Then I calmly said to Grandma, 
“This is why we can’t have nice things.” 

Uma

Comments

  1. This is so fun to read; I can imagine the whole thing. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment