The Homecoming

I got Grandma up really early this morning because we have to get ready. Mom is coming to Grandma's today!! As soon as the windows showed some morning coming in I started making plans. Grandma said we were all ready for Mom but I still needed to make my own list. I need to perfect all the meows that Mom remembers, so I started that early too. I jumped up on the guest bed and rolled around to be sure that it was comfy and smelled like me. (Grandma had vacuumed that too, I think!) Then I ran downstairs and ate all my canned food in my dish so that Grandma could tell Mom I did that. After that I checked all the hiding places for treats to be sure they were cleaned out and ready for more. I want Mom to hide them there this time.

Then I jumped in bed with Grandma and made biscuits (kneaded, for you non cat people) on Grandma's arm to wake her up more, and I looked real close in her eyes. She was somewhere in there really deep. Then Grandma woke up all the way and said in a loud human voice, "TODAY'S THE DAY!" She nearly scared me. We both jumped.

I waited while Grandma talked to Uncle Brian in Spain. She does that in the morning because it's later there and they are both awake. Grandma's all excited because he's coming home soon too! Grandma calls it Homecoming Week!

While Grandma fixed my breakfast we talked. She told me all about watching the boat come in yesterday afternoon. She said it was dramatic. Almost four months up to Alaska and back! They watched them leave in April, and come back yesterday! They saw De Novo round the bend and come in with Mom and Dad standing there waving. Mom was holding ropes and Dad was steering because they had to put the sails down. Everyone hugged and nearly cried, then Mom asked about ME!







Me: What time is she coming?
Grandma: I think she will probably be here in a few hours. She's going to clean the boat a little bit and grab some things, and drive, drive, drive. Remember, Uma, you can't run and hide when you hear the door. It will be MOM!
Me: I know, but if I do, you'll come and find me and show me Mom, right?
Grandma: You bet we will!
Me: Can we keep this blog going for a few more days and write about Mom coming to get me?
Grandma: Good idea! And let's leave all the toys, pencils, lint and treats under the couch and piano so Mom can see how you put treasures there, sound good? We'll take pictures.
Me: I'm going to miss you, Grandma.
Grandma: I'll miss you lots, Uma.
Me: Will you come visit me on the boat?
Grandma: Yes, absolutely. And you come back and stay here again, okay?
Me: I can't wait. You'll keep the yard stick and the five gallon jug of water, and some of my toys here?
Grandma: Of course!
Then we hugged.

Be sure to come back here over the next few days and see pictures of The Homecoming.

Love,
Uma

Comments