Happy Birthday to Me!

Today is MY BIRTHDAY! I woke up this morning and the first thing Grandma said to me was "Happy Birthday, Uma. And Happy Birthday from Mom and Dad." We got up and Grandma was all excited for me. She gave me extra hidden treats and waited longer to make her coffee. We chased around the house and I got all tired out. Grandma was already tired out. Then I smelled coffee and knew she would be helping me type my blog soon.

"There's no reliable scientific way to calculate the relationship between human and cat years, but it's generally agreed that the first two years of a cat's life are roughly equal to the first 25 years of a human's life. After this, each additional year is about 4 cat years."

Grandma just read this to me. She says that means I'm like a 25 year-old human, but she doesn't agree. She said sometimes I'm like a three year old, looking for lots of attention and play time. Other times I'm like the perfect age of ten years old- smart, reliable, trust-worthy, loving. Then she said other times I'm like a preteen but she would not explain why. Grandmas are like that sometimes. They stop mid-sentence and forget where they are.

She told me that as I age four years this next year I will change some. I might even get over my sea-sickness. Who knows? Or I might spend more time watch-hunting rather than physical hunting. Like watching the spider on the wall, planning my attack and shifting back and forth longer instead of climbing the wall first thing. Anyway, that's what the book said to Grandma. I don't think you can go by a book. I might surprise everyone with things I do. Dogs are predictable. Cats are spontaneous, unpredictable and we change all the time.

Grandma: Like with what kind of cat food you want to eat from day to day? And where you hide your toys? And what day you might sleep in? 
Me: Yes, and like that I now sleep on your bed at night! And how I stopped pushing my treats down the heater vent. Change is good!

Mom and Dad just sent this message to me from their Satellite phone: "Happy birthday, Uma. Love you! See you soon!" while Grandma was typing for me. Now my birthday is complete!

Grandma is going to come back here and add some birthday photos during the day as she takes them. So hurry back!

Uma the birthday girl


This is me, looking out the window at the back yard. See my deep, blue eyes?!


This is me all tired out from playing on my birthday.

Comments